Sunday 15 February 2015

Camino Training

I'm excited that there is only one month to go until Camino Part II - my next walk from Estella - Belorado, kicks off on the 13th March when my friend David King and I fly Cork - Stansted - Biarritz!

As part of my preparations I started a new gym programme one month ago which involves a mix of cardiovascular training (10 minutes each on the bicycle, stepper and treadmill) weights (bench press, lateral pull down,leg extensions, gastroc strengthening, leg curls etc) squats, sit ups and a range of stretches.

The weather has also improved so I have taken the opportunity to do some hillwallking. Last Saturday I did 11.6 km around Claragh Mountain at Millstreet and yesterday I walked 24 km from Killavullen - Dromahane with one of my Camino friends Matt McCullagh through a mixture of Beech and Pine forest.


Summit of Claragh Mountain

Cairn on Summit of Claragh Mountain
where local legend says a priest was buried

Below the small cliff face on Claragh - a favourite nesting site for ravens

Beech forest outside Killavullen

Matt McCullagh

Harbingers of spring - Hazel Catkins

Looking towards Knockaroura Hill on the Blackwater Way


A pint of my favourite locally brewed Longueville House Cider
 in the pub at Mourneabbey

However, Camino preparations shouldnt just be physical, but spiritual as well. I am glad that my second walk is falling during Lent this year. I am from a Christian background (Presbyterian/ Charismatic / Independent House Church) which traditionally doesnt make anything of Lent and to my mind it has been much devalued by being reduced to a season to just give up chocolate or some other besetting vice! But although it is not a biblical observance, I am beginning to realise that it can actually be a useful time in the cycle of the year to take some defined time out (like the act of walking the Camino itself) to draw aside a little, take time out to reflect and hear from God. To that end this year I have decided to journey through Lent using Henri Nouwen's book The Return of the Prodigal Son as a focus whilst engaging with The Henri Nouwen Society's online Lent book discussion and also discussing the study questions with a Christian friend who is also a reflective guy like myself. I think this process of study and reflection will make Lent much more valuable and meaningful to me and I am sure walking the Camino in the middle of this period is not a coincidence but will be a valuable opportunity to hear from the Lord.

For anyone interested the online book study can be found at: http://wp.henrinouwen.org/rgroup_blog/?p=677

No comments:

Post a Comment