Sunday 28 December 2014

Bordeaux Wine

Over the Christmas holidays I have decided to use some of my free time to read Natasha & Peter Murtagh's book Buen Camino! kindly lent to me by my friends Richard & Pamela Wood who attend St Senan's church in Iniscarra.

Today I have also been enjoying a few glasses of a 2010 bottle of Saint - Emilion Grand Cru wine from Bordeaux donated by a patient. Deep & rich with a fruity aroma of cherries it has pleasingly assisted the remnants of my turkey and ham to digest!

There is in fact a connection with the Camino and my choice in wine, for as Peter Murtagh's points out, in the 11th & 12th centuries, Irish pilgrims often made the arduous journey to Galicia via empty wine ships returning to Bordeaux.

I raise a toast of my Bordeaux wine to those intrepid Medieval Irish pilgrims who braved life and limb to go on pilgrimage!




No comments:

Post a Comment